Sarcastic Bastard - Librarian, Male.
Excellent Help Bitch -
Library Staff, Female.
Smartass
Boy -

Library Staff, Male.
Little Girl -
Library Staff, Female.
Pipsqueak -
Library Staff, Male.
Aug 28, 2008

{ Them numbers }

-Excellent


I wasn't going to post this, but it is really too good not to. And I have been obsessively going over it all day to see if I could have done something differently....


So. A patron asks me for books on numbers for her little boy. She holds her hand out flat at about waist level to indicate “little boy.” She says they are learning their numbers and his don’t look right. She needs books that show how to write the numbers.


I show her children’s math books. I show her books with pictures of numbers. They aren’t right; they don’t show how to write them. So I finally, after twenty minutes, find the book “everything your kindergartener needs to know” under the heading “penmanship” and show her the sections on how to write numbers.....


“This isn’t it. He’s in sixth grade.”
“Sixth grade? Ok. But this does show how to form the numbers.”
“But these are numbers.”
“Yes. You asked me for books on how to write numbers.”
“No. Numbers. Like O N E. They are writing the words. His words don’t look right.”
“Ok. Like handwriting, then?”
“No.”


I never did find her anything satisfactory.


At the end of the whole thing she patted me on the shoulder and told me that "it's ok, I'll ask the boy's teacher. We were using the Dictionary at home, but I lost it."


Fuck. I could have found her a Dictionary.

| PermaLink | | |




Four snarky library employees. Here are their sarcastic/smartass musings on everything. We mean everything.

Names changed, Language unfiltered. Hardcore.

gnashingbooks -at- yahoo -dot- com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog-Roll

Vampire Librarian
Tales from the Liberry
Library Bitch
The Librarian's Guide to Etiquette
ASIF Authors Supporting Intellectual Freedom
The Society for Librarians* Who Say "Motherfucker"


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com