Sarcastic Bastard - Librarian, Male.
Excellent Help Bitch -
Library Staff, Female.
Smartass
Boy -

Library Staff, Male.
Little Girl -
Library Staff, Female.
Pipsqueak -
Library Staff, Male.
May 14, 2008

{ If you're going to play the game..... }

-Excellent


A young-ish guy came over and complained that his computer wasn't working and he wanted a different one. The keyboard was sticking. I went over and did some test-typing and it seemed fine to me, but he was insistant that when he used it, it didn't work, and he wanted another computer.


Ok. I'm getting pretty sick of fighting with people about computers (incidentally, when you have 6 windows open of your web-based email service, it slows down the computer, therefore there will probably be a little bit of a lag between when you hit a key and when the letter shows up on the screen. It's not the fucking keyboard's fault), so I decide to humour him. I told him that I couldn't assign him to a specific computer, but I would take that one out of service so that the automated system would assign him to a different one. He seemed happy with this solution. I figured that after he left I would boot it back up again and everybody would be happy.


Stupid me. I walked away from the area for a minute and when I came back he was attempting to log-in to the "broken" computer again.


"I just took that one out of service, it's not going to let you login, remember?"
"Yeah. But I saved my file on here and I need to get it before I can work on the other computer."
"........"


Which led to a conversation about what happens to your files when you save them to temporary folders, and why his files are gone, and WHY THE COMPUTER IS OUT OF SERVICE.


I'm just going to start telling patrons: "All of the computers are broken. We have shitty equipment. Also, I am an idiot. And yes, I am the only idiot who is trained to help you. This in no way reflects on your ability or inability to operate a computer. I'm sure you know exactly what you are doing.


That should just about cover it. Meanwhile I'm going to go have a lobotomy. I think I'll be much happier.

Labels: , , , ,

| PermaLink | | |




Four snarky library employees. Here are their sarcastic/smartass musings on everything. We mean everything.

Names changed, Language unfiltered. Hardcore.

gnashingbooks -at- yahoo -dot- com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog-Roll

Vampire Librarian
Tales from the Liberry
Library Bitch
The Librarian's Guide to Etiquette
ASIF Authors Supporting Intellectual Freedom
The Society for Librarians* Who Say "Motherfucker"


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com