Sarcastic Bastard - Librarian, Male.
Excellent Help Bitch -
Library Staff, Female.
Smartass
Boy -

Library Staff, Male.
Little Girl -
Library Staff, Female.
Pipsqueak -
Library Staff, Male.
Mar 11, 2008

{ Line up, Monkeys }

-Excellent


One of the local big warehouse-type stores is apparently advertising that they are hiring.


Why do I care? Their application process is entirely online now. This means that rather than having to talk to people face-to-face in the store, applicants have to find a computer and go through the process online. I understand that they get thousands of applicants, and it probably makes the whole screening process easier for them to force people to apply online, but what this means for the library is that we have to take on the role of tech support for the multitude of applicants who have no knowledge of computers, or how to navigate the extremely confusing website. It means that I have to waste taxpayer money by spending eight hours answering questions that all fall along the lines of: “Excuse me, miss? This website ain’t working.”


I don’t work for your company. Why am I stuck providing your tech support?


What I really find sad about the whole situation is not the time that I’m wasting, or the assholes who are yelling at me all day over it. What I find really sad is the fact that our local job market is so depressed that being a clerk at a big-box store looks like a successful career choice. People are actually fighting over the job…..


I’m not being a snob; I’ve worked in factories and been a clerk and gotten dirt under my nails before landing this super-posh library job. I just have to wonder if it is worth so much fight to work for minimum wage for a nationally syndicated company that would rather replace you with a computer or a monkey than pay you your five dollars.


But still, let’s be sure and blame the library if it doesn’t work out.

| PermaLink | | |




Four snarky library employees. Here are their sarcastic/smartass musings on everything. We mean everything.

Names changed, Language unfiltered. Hardcore.

gnashingbooks -at- yahoo -dot- com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog-Roll

Vampire Librarian
Tales from the Liberry
Library Bitch
The Librarian's Guide to Etiquette
ASIF Authors Supporting Intellectual Freedom
The Society for Librarians* Who Say "Motherfucker"


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com